Sunday, November 8, 2015

Yesterday

Yesterday

Yesterday we bought a trailer, thinking it would be good for the trips back and forth to Indiana...for the dogs, and rabbit and household stuff. I've been looking for a good little bit at trailer costs, and this one was 200 and looked like something we could work with. It doesn't have lights...which is fine. We went to autozone and bought a light kit while we were getting our hitch.  The tires looked like they'd seen better days, but we could replace them somewhere in the near future...still not a big deal. 
The guy selling it to us finally agreed to 140, as it had a load of rubbish that needed dumped (old roofing materials, nasty and heavy. We get 2 dumps for free at our local dump though, so we thought, no big deal, we'll go get the water bill and dump it.
On our way home however, about 3-5 miles from pickup...we lost the right wheel...fishtailed for what felt like an eternity and pulled to the side of the road to try to remove the trailer from my Yukon.  I worked hard to get the leg down in order to get the trailer lifted off my hitch. It got to a point that I didn't have the strength to turn it anymore, and it was not very far off my hitch...Art got it a few more turns than I had, but still not off the hitch...he walked down the road to get the wheel/tire. I called the guy who sold us the trailer (who I am far stronger than) and he wasn't much help. I had to think about this intelligently to get it loose. I had art put the car in neutral to loosen the connection, pulled the lock and pin out of the hitch, then had him drive forward a foot, which took the hitch off and allowed me to to put it in the car with us.

My trailer is (hopefully) still sitting on the side of the road in Forney, we have wheel/tire combos (x2) ordered and due to be delivered either Monday or Tuesday. We can get it put back together and dumped, then assess if I need to replace the wood as I'm painting this thing. She also will be lovely when I'm done with her, if I can help it. I want to paint her wood cobalt blue and her metal framework in a bright white gloss.




No comments:

Post a Comment